5.01.2009

my Chicago cravings continued . . .





There is this bakery in Northbrook, IL that I love.  They have the best banana bread with chocolate frosting.  I miss it so much that one of my girlfriends mails it to me to cheer up my days here in Connecticut.  Well I've been trying and trying to recreate it and finally I have!!!!  So I share with you banana cupcakes with chocolate frosting.

You must make the banana cupcakes a day in advance. No cheating here! You will frost them on the second day.

you will need:

1 stick of room temp butter
2/3 cup of sugar
2 eggs
2 over ripe bananas
1 tsp baking soda
2 Tablespoons of hot milk
1 tsp of baking powder
1 cup of flour (sifted)

2 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar (measure after you sift)
6 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (I used Hershey's special dark)
6 Tablespoons room temp butter
5 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

cream together butter and sugar
add eggs one at a time
add bananas
dissolve baking soda in hot milk fold into batter
fold in flour and baking powder

place in butter and floured muffin pans in a 325 degree oven till golden and toothpick comes out clean. approx 35 minutes.  

Makes 12 cupcakes, let cool and place in a airtight container till next day

sift together cocoa and powdered sugar, mix well
cream butter in mixer
alternately add powdered sugar mixture and milk
take the time to scrape down your bowl
add vanilla
beat for a few minutes till it is light and fluffy

frost cupcakes and enjoy