I was watching food network and stumbled across Paula Deen making doughnuts out of refrigerator biscuits, and I was amazed. They looked so easy and I knew that at some point I had to try them. Sadly, they were so easy and fantastic I had to make them twice this week! I thought you might like to try them too.
inspired by Paula Deen
****requires a deep fryer or a large cast iron pot and thermometer****
1 can large buttermilk refrigerator biscuits
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
1. Heat your deep fryer to 350 degrees F with peanut oil. Likewise you can pour oil in a large cast iron pot and monitor the temp with a candy thermometer.
2. While the fryer is heating open can of biscuits and make a small hole in the center, you could poke through with your pinky or you could use a thimble sized cookie cutter.
3. Place 4 at a time in deep fryer and flip after two minutes so both sides get golden brown.
4. Remove from fryer and let oil drain on rack.
5. Continue with remaining doughnuts and centers too!
1. Use two pots to make glaze, one for vanilla and one for chocolate.
2. In each pot add half of the cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar. To the chocolate glaze add the cocoa powder. Mix both glazes well over a low heat until combined and warm. If needed, add another teaspoon of cream to make a glaze consistency.
3. Dip one side of doughnut in glaze and place back on rack, glaze side up, till set, about 5 minutes.